I must admit I was nervous when I was entering the city of Columbus not having an inkling of what to expect from this program. Of course I knew why I was here; I was here to learn about the various aspects of Higher Education/Student Affairs, meet fellow NUFP Fellows, and gain an understanding of Ohio State's Higher Education Program. Regardless, I was anxious and wasn't sure who I would be living with, what my position would entail, and I questioned if I would be able to adapt to a larger, college-oriented city. My mind was put at ease and the waves of anxiety vanished when I was greeted by the friendly faces of fellow interns. I will do more than just “enjoy” myself during this experience, and I am excited to share this journey with 9 friendly, warm, and outgoing fellow interns.
As I explore the campus and the city of Columbus, it is evident that Columbus is the heart of Ohio. Restaurants and stores line the streets and the people passing by are decorated in Ohio State attire. Scarlett and grey cover the furniture, walls, and floors of almost every building as well as Ohio State paraphernalia. Students and staff wear their colors with pride, and it’s difficult not to catch the “school spirit” fever that is an integral part of the Ohio State culture. I am overwhelmed by the resources available to students, staff, and faculty with the multiple libraries, the vast facilities for physical fitness and dining, and the fact that Ohio State is a known research institution. It is evident that the Student Life Department puts time and effort toward “foster[ing] student learning and development, enhanc[ing] the educational experience, and prepar[ing] students for their chosen professions and to be contributing members of a diverse society” (StudentLife.osu.edu). To Anna-Stacia Allen’s, the Program Coordinator in OSU’s Student Life department, point, your university experience is devoted toward 10% in academics and the other 90% is in student activities and other areas under Student Life. And, I completely agree. There is pride in the work done by Ohio State’s Student Life Office, and “pride” is a feeling well-known by these Buckeyes!